Re: [Aroid-l] Colocasia gigantea hardiness?

  • Subject: Re: [Aroid-l] Colocasia gigantea hardiness?
  • From: RAYMOMATTLA@cs.com
  • Date: Mon, 29 Nov 2004 20:54:49 EST

The ones that I do dig for storage dont have any signs of damage from pests although I have seen some of my Alocasia get chomped on by what I thought was grubs.  Originally I had one plant of Colocasia gigantea, which was planted by itself in a large bed and left to grow huge in its first year.  The following years it has produced dozens and dozens of pups and I have left them to grow up next to the Momma plant, only thinning occasionally when it gets too crowded.  Maybe all the plants are competing for water/nutrients and thus not getting as big.  I have transplanted several bulbs to different parts of the yard, but they dont seem to quite that big anymore either.  Strangely, that same summer I got 7-8 foot Xanthosoma violeceum and an Ensete almost 15 foot tall (cant get them over 10 foot now). The soil gets a fresh layer of manure every spring, so Im really not sure.
Aroid-l mailing list