[Aroid-l] Non-aroid seed offer (Hedychium hasseltii)

  • Subject: [Aroid-l] Non-aroid seed offer (Hedychium hasseltii)
  • From: Steve Marak samarak@gizmoworks.com
  • Date: Sun, 6 Nov 2005 18:19:41 -0600 (CST)

I have several fruits of Hedychium hasseltii ripe. Anyone who would like some
seeds, please let me know. I'll mail them anywhere, US or elsewhere, but it's
up to you to ensure they'll get through whatever import restrictions may apply
on your end. I've germinated seeds from these plants in the past, so I'm pretty
confident they are viable. I don't know how long they'll stay viable, but these
opened in the last couple of days.

This is a plant I got from Phil Mueller, one of the originators of Aroid-L, at
least 12-14 years ago. Phil was unbelievably generous with plants and this is
one of many things he sent me with total disregard for my climate (hundreds of
miles north, and 20+ degrees C colder in the winter than his) and lack - at
that time - of any greenhouse at all.

At any rate, this was his response to my complaint that I loved hedychiums but
couldn't grow them outdoors here and they were all so large to winter indoors.
It's relatively small, about 3 feet for me. Very easy - I've had plants in the
same 3-4 gallon containers for years with little care, and they flower reliably
in the fall. Fragrant, of course - even the seeds capsules are lightly
fragrant. I think Tim Chapman rates it hardy in zone 8 and above.

-- Steve Marak
-- samarak@gizmoworks.com
Aroid-l mailing list