Re: [Aroid-l] A. prainii care instructions

  • Subject: Re: [Aroid-l] A. prainii care instructions
  • From: Ken Mosher ken@spatulacity.com
  • Date: Fri, 11 Nov 2005 00:01:52 -0500

Hi Kirk,

I have very little experience with this plant outside of killing one last year. Therefore, I can say it is *very* prone to rot if you keep it damp and cold at the same time. Many amorphs have this tendency.

My current plants of this species are all seedlings, and they've put up leaf after leaf after leaf and are still going strong in the greenhouse. I really wish they'd go dormant! It's time to let my CT greenhouse go cold.

Here's my advice for yours: if it's had a good long growing season and keeping it growing is inconvenient for you, stop watering and it will go dormant. My friends on this list will yell at me if my advice is wrong and then we'll both learn better...

-Ken Mosher

Kirk Martin wrote:

I'm just trying to find some basic care instructions for growing
Amorphophallus prainii. The plant is approximately 10" tall now and
appears to be actively growing (was given plant in early October this year).

I'm growing the plant in a 50 % loam and the remainder in 1:1:1 peat, perlite, vermiculite under
a 4' fluorescent light.
Since I live in Fitchburg Massachusetts, Can I expect a dormancy and if so any idea when it would start?
Just trying to get a sense how finicky this plant is and how susceptible to rot.

Anyone have a fact sheet? All I know is it's habitat is near Thailand/ Indonesia and not much more.

Any help is appreciated,

Kirk Martin
Fitchburg, Mass.
Aroid-l mailing list