Re: [Aroid-l] Philodendron X macneilianum

  • Subject: Re: [Aroid-l] Philodendron X macneilianum
  • From: "Julius Boos" ju-bo@msn.com
  • Date: Mon, 21 Nov 2005 09:39:22 +0000

From : 	Neil Crafter <golfstra@senet.com.au>
Sent : Monday, November 21, 2005 12:19 AM
To : Discussion of aroids <aroid-l@gizmoworks.com>

Dear Neil,

NICE detective work on tracing what this plant is! I too like to be able to do this when time permits!
Thanks again!

Julius
WPB,
FLORIDA.

Hi Tom
Hope you are well. AB Graf's Exotica lists "P. x mcneilianum (F. species no.1 x selloum), selfheading plant with large leaves almost triangular, deeply lobed and wavy; basal lobes staghorn-like, 'cold' resistant." F. species No. 1 is described by Graf as "Fosters species No.1', or "P. cymbispathum according to Barroso".
Hope this helps a little. I have a photo I can scan for you if you don't have a copy of Exotica handy. The copies I made were from an edition of Exotica at least 25 years old so I'd say the hybrid has been around a fair while.

I have another reference from a botanical encyclopaedia (unfortunately my photocopies of the Philo section didn't record the book) that says that "P.macneilianum has large, wavy, deeply lobed leaves broadly-tringular-ovate in outline". It says it is of the same parentage as P. fosteranum which has parents being P.bipinnatifidum and P. cymbispathum.

Would seem that parents are P. cymbispathum and P. bipinnatifidum and presumably Mr MacNeil did the crossing. The second article spells the name differently with an 'a', and presumably this is the correct spelling. Hope this helps

cheers
Neil

Neil Crafter
Philodendron enthusiast