Re: [Aroid-l] Iron Chef - Konnyaku

  • Subject: Re: [Aroid-l] Iron Chef - Konnyaku
  • From: "Julius Boos" ju-bo@msn.com
  • Date: Mon, 21 Nov 2005 09:45:43 +0000

From : 	piaba <piabinha@yahoo.com>
Sent : Sunday, November 20, 2005 8:51 PM
To : Discussion of aroids <aroid-l@gizmoworks.com>

Dear Tsuh yang and Friends,

I guess these infidels had better stick to Idaho and Yukon Gold potatoes and turnips!
You wondered what A. paeon. tastes like, it is available here in Florida in cans at the Indian Grocery, called 'Suran' or Elephant yam. It USED to be available as whole fresh tubers, but I have not seen them in ages. I hear that it tastes like Dracontium tubers, which taste like a doughy Colocasia!

The Best,

--- Don Martinson <llmen@wi.rr.com> wrote:
> It was the texture that, well, grossed me out. It was like >chewing on a big piece of gristle and seemed to get
bigger with >every chew!
As some may recall, there was a candy product which
contained this stuff and was ultimately banned because of a choke
hazzard in young children - the stuff wouldn't dissolve!
that is not accurate.  the choking hazzard was due to
the size of the candy, which is offered in small cups
of fruit-flavored jelly.

you infidels don't know what's good for you.  konnyaku
is quite tasty, but then i'm used to it...  for
example, sliced and sauteed in a curry sauce with
other vegetables.  as noted, it's a starch and usually
made into bricks, but can also be made into noodles.
there's a restaurant in NY's chinatown that
specializes in konnyaku noodles soups.  often referred
to as simply "yam," which is unfort. not accurate.

i have not tasted paeoniifolius though... i wonder how
it tastes different.

tsuh yang

Aroid-l mailing list

Aroid-l mailing list