Re: [Aroid-l] Re: Iron Chef - Konnyaku

  • Subject: Re: [Aroid-l] Re: Iron Chef - Konnyaku
  • From: piaba piabinha@yahoo.com
  • Date: Mon, 21 Nov 2005 17:13:15 -0800 (PST)

hi jason,

> Small cups of fruit flavored jelly... I wonder if
> this is the stuff I remember in Taiwan.  At our
> bushiban's Christmas party, we had loads and loads
> of tiny cups of gelatin, which we teachers would
> hand out to the kids who won a round of the games we
> ran.  I assumed it was regular gelatin, so I never
> bothered to check the ingredients (not that I could
> have read the Chinese characters for konjak).  In
> Taiwan, one can certainly find a great many Japanese
> products.

probably.  konnyaku is not strictly a japanese
product, and these cups of jelly with fruit are sold
in chinese markets, sometimes with a small square of
fruit jelly in the middle.  it's just like fruit
jelly/gelatin in taste and consistency.

as i said, konnyaku noodles are served in soup at a
restaurant here in nyc, but they are really cute
because they are made as transparent bundles of tied
noodles, knotted.

oh yeah, if you are into japanese cuisine, there's
nothing like warm oden stew in the winter...

btw, what's a bushiban?

tsuh yang

Aroid-l mailing list