[Aroid-l] Amorph. tubers

  • Subject: [Aroid-l] Amorph. tubers
  • From: "Derek Burch" derek@horticulturist.com
  • Date: Sun, 27 Nov 2005 07:29:20 -0500

Hi Julius and everyone,

I thought that I remembered something that Dr. Misra wrote in one of the
several articles that he has had in Aroideana in the past few years, that
suggested that the selection process for their cultivars of Amorphophallus
paeoniifolius had included, or at least resulted, in types that were less
likely to flower. A very good trait if what you are after is bulking of the

However, I can't find the reference, so it might have been in a letter from
him, or might just have been a dream of mine (old men forget ...}. It might
also not apply to material coming from Central America. I am assuming that
we all want to enjoy the flowers, but I usually settle for the great foliage
from mine anyway. I will be interested to see how mine respond next year
after their leaves burned off with the sudden access of full sun conditions
throughout my garden with the advent of hurricane Wilma.

I also think that I remember that Petra was involved in the import of a
quantity of large tubers a couple of years back. Has anyone heard of the
results from these? I bought a large tuber (as Suran) in London for growing
in the greenhouse at The Living Rainforest. It obliged with a leaf for a
year or two, but eventually died.

Aroid-l mailing list