RE: [Aroid-l] suran

  • Subject: RE: [Aroid-l] suran
  • From: "Julius Boos" ju-bo@msn.com
  • Date: Thu, 24 Nov 2005 20:27:25 +0000

From : 	Julius Boos <ju-bo@msn.com>
Sent : Wednesday, November 23, 2005 4:41 AM
To : aroid-l@gizmoworks.com

From : piaba <piabinha@yahoo.com>
Sent : Tuesday, November 22, 2005 5:13 PM
To : Discussion of aroids <aroid-l@gizmoworks.com>
Subject : [Aroid-l] suran

Dear Tsuh Yang and other friends on this list,

A tip for all you Amorphophiles (and Amorphophages!) 'out there'---Earlier today I visited my Indian Grocer on Okeechobee Blvd. here in West Palm Beach, Florida to get some special curry paste, as we Trinidadians have 'modified' the GREAT American Holiday, Thanksgiving, to incorporate some of the foods that we are thankful for! :--)
I asked my friendly grocer when next he would have some FRESH/living tubers of 'suran' (Amorph. paeon.) in stock, he said he`d order a box for next week, he gets them from a wholesaler in Homestead, Florida, and he thought that they were being grown commercially in both Jamaica and Honduras, Cen. America! SO---all of you 'out there' in America who want tubers of Amorpho. paeon. and can locate an Indian Grocery in your hometown, ask the grocer to order you some 'suran' tubers from Homestead, Miami, the same place he gets his 'arvi' (Colocasia esculenta antiquoprum) tubers, they work out to be CHEAP by the pound!

Good Growing,

--- Julius Boos <ju-bo@msn.com> wrote:
You wondered what A. paeon. tastes like, it is
available here in Florida in cans at the Indian Grocery, called 'Suran' or
Elephant yam. It USED to be available as whole fresh tubers, but I have not seen
them in ages. I hear that it tastes like Dracontium tubers, which taste
like a doughy Colocasia!

so, ju-bo, how do these chubas taste like? are they
prepared fresh or just as a starch like konjac?<<

Dear Tsuh Yang,

As I mentioned (above), the 'chubas' are sold in cans as bits cooked in brine, and though I have not sampled them, am told that they taste like Dracontium, or like a 'tough' Colocasia!

tsuh yang

Aroid-l mailing list

Aroid-l mailing list