RE: [Aroid-l]Xanthostoma with purple coloring--Brian

  • Subject: RE: [Aroid-l]Xanthostoma with purple coloring--Brian
  • From: "Julius Boos" ju-bo@msn.com
  • Date: Sun, 12 Nov 2006 00:09:33 +0000

From : 	Eduardo Goncalves <edggon@hotmail.com>
Sent : Saturday, October 21, 2006 1:14 PM
To : aroid-l@gizmoworks.com
Subject : RE: [Aroid-l] unknown Xanthostoma with purple coloring

Dear Brian (Williams),

Here is the answer, Dr. Goncalves must have been in error when he ID`d your photos as X. robustum, it is a form of X. atrovirens. Sorry for the mix-up!

Julius

Dear Eric,
To me, your purplish Xanthosoma is one of the many forms of Xanthosoma atrovirens. I have also seen a reddish form ("morada") and the regular blackish form.
The "Colocasia" excalibur is, for sure, a Caladium, probably from the group of Caladium picturatum. Julius, is this the one you brought from Trinidad?

Very best wishes,

Eduardo.

Dr. Eduardo G. Goncalves
Universidade Catolica de Brasilia