RE: [Aroid-l]Xanthostoma with purple coloring--Brian

  • Subject: RE: [Aroid-l]Xanthostoma with purple coloring--Brian
  • From: "Julius Boos" ju-bo@msn.com
  • Date: Sun, 12 Nov 2006 00:09:33 +0000

From : 	Eduardo Goncalves <edggon@hotmail.com>
Sent : Saturday, October 21, 2006 1:14 PM
To : aroid-l@gizmoworks.com
Subject : RE: [Aroid-l] unknown Xanthostoma with purple coloring

Dear Brian (Williams),

Here is the answer, Dr. Goncalves must have been in error when he ID`d your photos as X. robustum, it is a form of X. atrovirens. Sorry for the mix-up!

Dear Eric,
To me, your purplish Xanthosoma is one of the many forms of Xanthosoma atrovirens. I have also seen a reddish form ("morada") and the regular blackish form.
The "Colocasia" excalibur is, for sure, a Caladium, probably from the group of Caladium picturatum. Julius, is this the one you brought from Trinidad?

Very best wishes,

Dr. Eduardo G. Goncalves
Universidade Catolica de Brasilia
Curso de Ciencias Biologicas