Re: [Aroid-l] Trademark Names

  • Subject: Re: [Aroid-l] Trademark Names
  • From: Tony Avent tony@plantdelights.com
  • Date: Tue, 28 Nov 2006 08:45:00 -0500

Zantedeschia 'Picasso' is a patented plant, but I am unfamiliar with the name Wizard.  Here is a link to the the search page for the US Patent Office which you may find of interest.   Go here and type in the word Zantedeschia, in the Term 1 box and hit search.  http://patft.uspto.gov/netahtml/PTO/search-bool.html
This will give you information about the introducer, the parentage, and lots of other interesting info.  It's a Federal Crime to give false information here, so these are fairly accurate.  I usually find this info doesn't come anywhere close to the marketing hype that is printed by nurseries selling the same plants.  Most nurseries don't realize that the Federal Trade Commission has laws that govern how plants are sold and marketed.  If you are tired of a plant being intentionally hyped with false claims and sold under the wrong names, don't hesitate to give the US Trademark Office or the FTC a call.

Tony Avent
Plant Delights Nursery @
Juniper Level Botanic Garden
9241 Sauls Road
Raleigh, North Carolina  27603  USA
Minimum Winter Temps 0-5 F
Maximum Summer Temps 95-105F
USDA Hardiness Zone 7b
email tony@plantdelights.com
website  http://www.plantdelights.com
phone 919 772-4794
fax  919 772-4752
"I consider every plant hardy until I have killed it myself...at least three times" - Avent

Susan B wrote:
What about big biz like Wayside Gardens?  Zantedeschia Picasso is a patented name, but it is also sold as Zantedeschia Wizzard, both varieties being sold in the US.