Re: [Aroid-l] Trademark Names

  • Subject: Re: [Aroid-l] Trademark Names
  • From: Tony Avent tony@plantdelights.com
  • Date: Tue, 28 Nov 2006 08:31:00 -0500

Jani:

Unfortunately the EU Plant Varieties Office and the US Patent and Trademark Divisions don't communicate with each other very well, and none pay any attention to the International Nomenclature Code.  I've seen many cases where a plant was patented under an invalid name in the US, a different invalid name in the EU, and then illegally trademarked under a third different name.  It is only when the illegality is challenged by a private citizen or company that the government takes action.  The first case of an illegal trademark being challenged just made it through the US Court system this year with the court correctly ruling that all of the Stark Brothers trademarks are invalid. With the oxalis, Charmed tm is a valid trademark for the series, but the cultivar names which cannot include the trademark, become O. 'Wine' O. 'Jade', etc.  Proven Winners catalog is a nomenclatural disaster.  They even introduced a Euphorbia under the cultivar 'Helena' when there was already a different Euphorbia 'Helena' patented.  If a plant is introduced is under an invalid cultivar name, anyone can rename it in a proper publication.  If more people did this, these nurseries would learn.  An example would be the recent Echinacea 'CBG Cone3'.  We simply renamed the plant and published their illegal trademark name of 'Mango Meadowbrite' as the official cultivar name.  Unfortunately, most nurseries and breeders that I discuss this with don't care or are defiant in breaking the law.  Often in the quest for maximizing profits, accuracy in the form of good hardiness data and proper nomenclature is thrown out the window.  people forget that the reason horticultural nomenclature exists is so that we can all communicate.
Tony Avent
Plant Delights Nursery @
Juniper Level Botanic Garden
9241 Sauls Road
Raleigh, North Carolina  27603  USA
Minimum Winter Temps 0-5 F
Maximum Summer Temps 95-105F
USDA Hardiness Zone 7b
email tony@plantdelights.com
website  http://www.plantdelights.com
phone 919 772-4794
fax  919 772-4752
"I consider every plant hardy until I have killed it myself...at least three times" - Avent

Agoston Janos wrote:
Hey Tony,

You did it again! It is a very good article! Now we are not afraid any more. All of our patented plants are named and sold only on patent and not on cultivar name. But everywhere in catalogues we saw only the patented name not cultivar name, moreover, we have ordered tulips, and there were no sign of patent , but on the invoice there was. This is what you were talking about as invalid trademarks.

Ver(r)y funny... Ha ha for others who did not read the article.

thank you for calling up my attention tho your findings!

Are there any other aroids which are trademarked (excluding Anthuriums and Zantedeschias)?

Does anybody has experience with Timber Press? Any opinions about the Aroid book (anybody can respond...)?

Bye,

Jani