Re: Help with Anthurium ID

  • Subject: Re: Help with Anthurium ID
  • From: Ron Kaufmann <kaufmann@sandiego.edu>
  • Date: Wed, 14 Nov 2007 08:32:30 -0800

Hi All,

    For what it's worth, I have an A. cupulispathum that is growing outdoors next to my greenhouse in coastal Southern California.  It's been there for over a year and survived last winter, when temperatures dropped to 29 deg F (-2 deg C) for three consecutive nights.  Its growth slowed to virtually nil for several months, but it didn't die and put on several new leaves this past summer.

    Based on what I've seen in the field, I don't expect that this plant will ever achieve the leaf size of the large specimen in the Huntington conservatory, which *definitely* is worth a look-see, but it's still very attractive with its large green blades, each accented by a red-tinged sinus.

Windy Aubrey wrote:
Hi Hermine,
Yes, this plant does cause 'chicken skin'.  I had another image of it next to the curator, but wasn't sure if I should use his image.  To see it next to a tall man made it even more impressive.
The Huntington grows it inside a climate controlled greenhouse.  I'm not sure as to how well it would survive or thrive in the open without the humidity.  I think this species may come from a wet area in nature, by the looks of the spath that it presented.  It's flower shape was one where the spath acts as an umbrella to protect the spadix from becoming wet during a rain.  I can tell you though, this plant has extremely thin leaves that rip, tear and bruise easily.  I had dreams of planting one outside in the landscaping, but after growing it for a while I don't think it would look as spectacular with it's blades shredded.
If you get a chance to pick one up, try it as a houseplant, if your greenhouse is too tight.
If you are still located in SOCA, head over to the Huntington for the day.  They have recently built a tremendous conservatory with bevy of aroids and other beautiful plants, and it turned out spectacular to say the least!
Aroid-L mailing list