Re: Little black bugs eating Alocasias

  • Subject: Re: Little black bugs eating Alocasias
  • From: "Michael Mahan" <agavestar@covad.net>
  • Date: Sat, 17 Nov 2007 00:26:05 -0800

I use anywhere from 10% to 50%  ZEP Orange to water, depending on what plant I need to kill the buggers . I had a white fly infestation in the greenhouse really bad,  anything that had a leaf had white fly even the weeds , what finally got them gone , was going in a week at a time & soaking every living thing in the greenhouse with a 3 gallon pump up sprayer for 4 weeks (ya need to break their life cycle ).I put about 3 inches of the ZEP in the bottom of the sprayer the 1st time ,Quickly learned that was a mistake as it foams up some , Then was using about 3 cups into the thing after filling it with WARM water ,then soaking ALL parts of every plant . You’ll quickly find the plants with the ant nests as they will swarm out turning the upper parts of the plant black as they try to escape the spray  .. THIS is important  <that you go back & soak everywhere around the nest as the queens will run to another pot>  (ants are what spread the mealies )  No need to use such a strong % as you use, as I’ve found 10% in a hand sprayer  kills ants just fine. the times I used 50% was when I found a ant nest when watering & that mix was in the kitchen at the time as it’s really important to kill the nest as soon as they swarm out by flooding the whole pot and surrounding area with the ZEP

The only time I ever had plant damage from the ZEP was on succulents that have a  natural wax coating as it strips that off .   ask any questions at anytime……. I should get a cut on sales of ZEP from the MFG’er as I talk it up everywhere I go !