Re: Is it Anthurium jenmanii or Anthurium bonplandii guayanum

  • Subject: Re: Is it Anthurium jenmanii or Anthurium bonplandii guayanum
  • From: Bluesea <chammer@cfl.rr.com>
  • Date: Fri, 16 Nov 2007 12:20:34 -0500

Anthurium 'jenmanii Hort.' with the red new leaves has been identified by Dr. Thomas Croat as A. bonplandii ssp. guayanum.  Therefore, if there are crosses involved with 'jenmanii Hort.', they are actually crosses of bonplandii.  I suppose, theoretically, that if a hybrid Anthurium was a cross of true jenmanii and bonplandii ssp. guayanum, it could be considered a jenmanii cross,
and I also suppose it could display a red new leaf.  However, the Anthuriums I see for sale at this time are being sold as jenmanii species.

Steve is simply stating what Dr. Croat has said regarding the identification of this Anthurium.  Therefore, if anyone has an issue with the ID, it is with Dr. Croat at the Missouri Botanical Garden.  Steve is providing an invaluable service with his website in
promoting Aroids in general, and in fact he is promoting the sales of the very Anthuriums being sold at this time.

The correct ID of this Anthurium being brought to light has not lowered prices, as evidenced by current extremely high sales prices.

agrsuw@ku.ac.th wrote:
Dear Steve,

FYI, the plant that the Indonesians, not South-east asians, crazy about is
Anthurium jenmanii Hort.  They are progenies of many interspecific cross of A.
jemanii.  This bases on the fact that the population show a high degree of
segregation on leaf color & size and venation.  In my opinion, A. bonplandii
guayanum as well as A. cubensis involved.

>From your website, I agree with Jay.

Quoting ExoticRainforest <Steve@ExoticRainforest.com>:

As several of us have discussed privately, and a prominent member of this
forum published publicly on a garden website, Dr. Croat has expressed his
opinion in an email that the plant being commonly sold as Anthurium jenmanii
(the one with the purple/red new leaves) is actually Anthurium bonplandii
subsp. guayanum. I published Dr. Croat's email verbatim on my site under both
Anthurium jenmanii and Anthurium bonplandii guayanum.  I am now being
criticized publicly for doing so.  I don't wish to show a slanted approach.
I simply strive to publish facts that are botanically accurate.  Botanist
David Scherberich provided a photo of the species he knows as Anthurium
jenmanii which is now on my site.

If anyone has an opinion that is opposed to Dr. Croat, please feel free to
send me a private email and I will publish your stated position as well.
Please make it clear why you disagree as concisely as possible and I will
publish your quote along with your name so others may consider your position.
My goal has never been to affect the sale of any plant.  It is solely to
publish accurate information.

Steve Lucas

We collect and grow many rare and
exotic tropical plants and orchids.  Take
the "Rainforest Tour" at:

Aroid-L mailing list

Aroid-L mailing list