FW: RE: Aroids in Art

  • Subject: FW: RE: Aroids in Art
  • From: <ju-bo@msn.com>
  • Date: Wed, 28 Nov 2007 11:32:58 +0000

 From:   aroid-l-bounces@gizmoworks.com on behalf of hermine (hermine@endangeredspecies.com)
 Sent:   Sun 11/25/07 5:20 PM
 To:     Discussion of aroids (aroid-l@gizmoworks.com); Discussion of aroids (aroid-l@gizmoworks.com)

Dear Deni and Friends,

I am posting the note (below) which I had sent to Hermine off-l, she claims that it  contains enough ''scholarly'' and important information that it NEEDS to be on aroid-l, so here goes, and to any prudes ''out there'', bring on the heat!!
Deni, I certainly do hope that someone can find a way to post the illustration from Edward Lear`s book of silly limricks, or that you can find a way to scan it from your copy for our viewing pleasure.    What an interesting topic!
Geoff, thanks for the tip on the availabilty of that book of victorian illustrations.
There is a copy of one of these modern comic books 'out there' in which in the wonderfully artistic illustrations done in beautiful color, the art depicts an alien ''being'' who is drawn as a VERY recognisable bloom belonging to the Araceae, and who seduces a beautiful young woman!!  I sent copies to a collector of aroid art some years ago!

The Best,

Julius

>>Dear Hermine,

Nice posting!!  You`r not a perv..---read Deni Bown`s book, page 92, WOW!
The name ''Lords-and-Ladies'' actually refers to the colors, as the spadices (which usually are considered as representing a penis/phallus ??) are usually maroon, a color commonly used only by Lords, but sometimes the spadix was yellow, a color worn by Ladies!  Some of the other common names for this plant mean ''dogs penis'', ''lively penis'', priest`s penis'', etc., etc.!
 Aroids on the whole ALWAYS bring to mind sexuality, no matter if some will deny or choose to ignore it!   You should have been at Fairchild a few years ago and seen the visiting older ladies handling and gently ''knocking'' on the tumescent and VERY phallic-textured petiole of the A. titanums!   The 'look'' on their faces and in their eyes was priceless, (at least to me it was!!), especially when I explained to some who were were asking for more information on this genus (as they viewed several open aroid inflorscences), that the genus ''Amorphophallus'' meant ''a shapeless phallus or penis''.

Good Growing!

Julius