Fwd: Tuber ID Request

  • Subject: Fwd: Tuber ID Request
  • From: "Ron Weeks" <rhweeks@attglobal.net>
  • Date: Tue, 11 Nov 2008 15:06:42 -0500

I received this request from Cheryl in Australia. Since I do not grow aroids that smell foul or go dormant I cannot help. I trust one of the you tubernaters can.
...Ron

I have been searching the internet to try and identify a plant - I helped an elderly fellow repot his orchids, he gave me a sack with about 8 bulbs in it
that looked like a birds nest in varying sizes from 1 inch to 9 inches
accross - they stated shooting a few weeks ago and I planted them - the big
one has a huge growth coming up - about 9 inches high with a diameter of 5 -
6 inches.

He told me they were Dracontium Giganteum - but I cannot find any
information on them - I have attached a photo of the big one taken this
morning and I suspect that I may have to wait for it to flower, and then try
to find out what it is, but also wondered if the birds nest type large bulb
was an identifying factor.

But just wondered if you or any of your members would know what it was -

Cheers
Cheryl Acford

Hello Ron

I have been searching the internet to try and identify a plant - I helped an elderly fellow repot his orchids, he gave me a sack with about 8 bulbs in it that looked like a birds nest in varying sizes from 1 inch to 9 inches accross - they stated shooting a few weeks ago and I planted them - the big one has a huge growth coming up - about 9 inches high with a diameter of 5 - 6 inches.

He told me they were Dracontium Giganteum - but I cannot find any information on them - I have attached a photo of the big one taken this morning and I suspect that I may have to wait for it to flower, and then try to find out what it is, but also wondered if the birds nest type large bulb was an identifying factor.

But just wondered if you or any of your members would know what it was -

I thank you in adance for any information and hope I am not a bother

Cheers
Cheryl Acford