Re: Cultivar registration - the wraps are off

  • Subject: Re: Cultivar registration - the wraps are off
  • From: "Wilbert Hetterscheid" <hetter@xs4all.nl>
  • Date: Sat, 22 Nov 2008 19:19:37 +0100

Hi Marek,

Unfortunately, there is MUCH more allowed in cultivar names than you seem to realize. Even plain sequences of letters and numbers are allowed, although there are rules to the way in which such cultivar "names" must be made. They are called "codes" in legal terms. The rules about diacritics are not consistent between statutory registration (PBR and so) and non-statutory. There much more where this came from but I won't bother the list with it.

Cheers,
Wilbert