Re: Cultivar registration latin alphabet

  • Subject: Re: Cultivar registration latin alphabet
  • From: "Marek Argent" <abri1973@wp.pl>
  • Date: Mon, 24 Nov 2008 00:02:49 +0100

Hi again,

Well, maybe I'm a "rebel" but I think that every language (using the Latin alphabet) should have an alternative orthography which allows to write correctly without diacritics and accents. For example in German there are national letters ä, ö, ü, ß and they use it commonly, but these letters can be replaced by "ae", "oe", "ue" and "ss" and this is used when they have no possibility to insert the diacritics (in mobile phones, foreign operation systems and the cultivar names too). In Norway there are 2 languages - Bokmål, with diacritics, and Nynorsk without them. I am engaged in a project APORT (Alternative Polish Orthography) which will allow to write correctly in Polish using only the Latin alphabet. We have 9 national chars, the work is almost ready but available now only in Polish.
In relation to cultivars it is very insuitable and reckless to name them by difficult, specific to only one language words. In my opinion they should be easy to pronounce and pronounced similarly in various languages. If I created a new cultivar and thoughtlessly named it 'Szczęście' (what in Polish means 'Luck') how would you read it, hm? So, besides the Code the plant producers should have quick wits. The code is useful but the market has its own rules.

Best,
Marek