non-aroid question, please forgive me!

  • Subject: non-aroid question, please forgive me!
  • From: Ken Mosher <ken@spatulacity.com>
  • Date: Sun, 23 Nov 2008 22:49:41 -0500

I know there are people on this list who grow Tacca leontopetalloides,
so since I just had my first successful season with them I now have a
couple of questions regarding what I just dumped out of the pots.

Here is the photo I took of what came out of the pots:

1) you will notice that two of the plants have *many* little tubers
instead of just one big one. These are the plants that I grew outdoors
in the full sun for part of the summer and then brought back into the
greenhouse. Was that difference in culture the cause of the higher
offset count?

2) Most of the plants (now all are shown) have the large offsets that
grew very deep - see the one that looks like a golf-club in the photo.
Those offsets look half-baked to me, like they're not really finished.
Are those likely to be viable?

3) Am I guessing correctly that the old tubers are not viable plants any
more? I should throw the old tubers away?

Ken Mosher
Aroid-L mailing list