Anthurium watermaliense Hort. ex L.H. Bailey & Nash

  • Subject: Anthurium watermaliense Hort. ex L.H. Bailey & Nash
  • From: ExoticRainforest <Steve@ExoticRainforest.com>
  • Date: Mon, 24 Nov 2008 20:59:06 -0600

I need some help from the Anthurium experts on Aroid l.

I have been going through many of the pages on my ExoticRainforest website trying to update pages and make sure the explanations are both scientifically accurate and clear.  I recently got around to Anthurium watermaliense and one of the first things I noticed that I had never realized before was the name!  The name is Anthurium watermaliense Hort. Ex. L.H. Bailey and Nash.    What grabbed my attention this time was the "Hort." and the
"Ex." which indicates a horticultural name that was formerly considered a scientific name.

As a result I went to the International Plant Names Index (IPNI)  http://www.ipni.org/index.html  and found the name Anthurium watermaliense does not exist on that site  So I went again for the third or fourth time and reread Dr. Croat's description in his Annals of the Missouri Botanical Garden 1983, Volume 70, #2.  Dr. Croat explains in that text that the name Anthurium watermaliense was originally a horticultural name (Hort.) and  was published in 1922 by Liberty Hyde Bailey Jr. (1858-1954) in his Cyclopedia of American Horticulture.  It did not appear the name Anthurium watermaliense had ever been officially published to science but only in horticultural literature.

Then I found on a 2005 Aroid l the following post from Dr. Croat, "I have placed this in Section Pachyneurium owing to its involute vernation but it is an unusual member of that group for sure.   I have often wondered if it might not be itself of hybrid origin."   Dr. Croat then continued, "There are about a half dozen of these cordate odd balls, A. standlyi, A. schottii, etc.  Some are quite attractive."   Involute vernation refers to the way the margins (edges) of a new leaf blade are rolled inward on both margins as it begins to emerge from the cataphylls.

Since Dr. Croat is currently in Ecuador until near the end of the third week of December I would love some input from those of you who have often provided accurate information before and are truly Anthurium experts to be certain Anthurium watermaliense is not considered a species.

You can read what I've learned so far here:

Steve Lucas
fn:Steve  Lucas

Aroid-L mailing list