Anthurium watermaliense Hort. ex L.H. Bailey & Nash]

  • Subject: Anthurium watermaliense Hort. ex L.H. Bailey & Nash]
  • From: ExoticRainforest <Steve@ExoticRainforest.com>
  • Date: Wed, 26 Nov 2008 17:06:51 -0600

Just a brief follow-up to the post I sent regarding Anthurium watermaliense on Monday.  The more I try to learn about this Anthurium the more the mystery appears to deepen as to whether or not it is truly a species.

The Royal Botanic Garden Kew's International Plant Names Index (IPNI) http://www.ipni.org/index.html does not appear to recognize the name as a published scientific species.  However, on the Royal Botanic Garden Kew website World Checklist of Selected Plant Families http://apps.kew.org/wcsp/prepareChecklist.do;jsessionid=D4E7F43755D6B641DF6FA10F93F2E1CB?checklist=selected_families%40%40256120920080337861
and the Kew's World Checklist of Monocotyledons http://apps.kew.org/wcsp/prepareChecklist.do;jsessionid=0E66B95AAE9C6309C15676BF244455A0?checklist=monocots%40%40330251120080555342
the name does appear to be accepted and is listed as  Anthurium watermaliense L.H.Bailey & Nash in L.H.Bailey, Stand. Cycl. Hort.: 303 (1914). The problem I am currently having is the "accepted name" on the last two sources, even though they are part of the Royal Botanic Garden Kew in London, appears to be the name accepted prior the current name of
Anthurium watermaliense Hort. ex. L.H. Bailey and Nash, thus the "ex.".

If any of the Anthurium experts on Aroid l has an answer to my quest to find out of Anthurium watermaliense is or is not an accepted name and thus a species I would really appreciate the input.

http://www.exoticrainforest.com/Anthurium%20watermaliense%20pc.html

Thanks again!

Steve Lucas
www.ExoticRainforest.com

Sent Monday, November 24, 2008:

I need some help from the Anthurium experts on Aroid l.

I have been going through many of the pages on my ExoticRainforest website trying to update pages and make sure the explanations are both scientifically accurate and clear.  I recently got around to Anthurium watermaliense and one of the first things I noticed that I had never realized before was the name!  The name is Anthurium watermaliense Hort. ex. L.H. Bailey and Nash.    What grabbed my attention this time was the "Hort." and the
"ex." which indicates a horticultural name that was formerly considered a scientific name.

As a result I went to the International Plant Names Index (IPNI)  http://www.ipni.org/index.html  and found the name Anthurium watermaliense does not exist on that site  So I went again for the third or fourth time and reread Dr. Croat's description in his Annals of the Missouri Botanical Garden 1983, Volume 70, #2.  Dr. Croat explains in that text that the name Anthurium watermaliense was originally a horticultural name (Hort.) and  was published in 1922 by Liberty Hyde Bailey Jr. (1858-1954) in his Cyclopedia of American Horticulture.  It did not appear the name Anthurium watermaliense had ever been officially published to science but only in horticultural literature.

Then I found on a 2005 Aroid l the following post from Dr. Croat, "I have placed this in Section Pachyneurium owing to its involute vernation but it is an unusual member of that group for sure.   I have often wondered if it might not be itself of hybrid origin."   Dr. Croat then continued, "There are about a half dozen of these cordate odd balls, A. standlyi, A. schottii, etc.  Some are quite attractive."   Involute vernation refers to the way the margins (edges) of a new leaf blade are rolled inward on both margins as it begins to emerge from the cataphylls.

Since Dr. Croat is currently in Ecuador until near the end of the third week of December I would love some input from those of you who have often provided accurate information before and are truly Anthurium experts to be certain Anthurium watermaliense is not considered a species.

You can read what I've learned so far here:

http://www.exoticrainforest.com/Anthurium%20watermaliense%20pc.html

Thanks!

Steve Lucas
www.ExoticRainforest.com