Re: Anthurium watermaliense Hort. ex L.H. Bailey &

  • Subject: Re: Anthurium watermaliense Hort. ex L.H. Bailey &
  • From: "mossytrail" <mossytrail@hctc.com>
  • Date: Sat, 29 Nov 2008 08:35:47 -0800

Interesting.  I would have assumed it was from someplace in
Suriname, but apparently, not so.

On the other hand, there are valid species named after where
they were first noticed rather than from their native range.
 Like the greenhouse flatworm, Bipalium kewense.  It is from
the former French Indochina, but was first noticed by
science in Kew Gardens.

Question for ExoticRainforest: does the suffix Hort. always
mean it was a horticultural name?  Because I was under the
impression that it applies to some valid species which, at
the time they were named, had been in cultivation long
enough that their wild origins were not remembered.

Jason Hernandez

> Message: 2
> Date: Thu, 27 Nov 2008 19:51:36 +0100
> From: "Marek Argent" <abri1973@wp.pl>
> Subject: Re: [Aroid-l] Anthurium watermaliense  Hort. ex
> L.H. Bailey &
>     Nash
> To: "Discussion of aroids" <aroid-l@gizmoworks.com>
> Hello Steve,
> As long as I know the name watermaliense it always seemed
> strange for me.  All Anthuriums come from the Latin
> America The name Watermal sounds English or Dutch
> and the ending -iense indicates a name of a geographical
> origin. Here I found the explanation:
> http://www.tropicos.org/name/2105405
> Another strange thing I found In this page that it is
> regarded as a species.
> Best,
> Marek
Aroid-L mailing list