Re: Anthurium watermaliense Hort. ex L.H. Bailey & Nash

  • Subject: Re: Anthurium watermaliense Hort. ex L.H. Bailey & Nash
  • From: ExoticRainforest <Steve@ExoticRainforest.com>
  • Date: Thu, 27 Nov 2008 23:37:34 -0600

Thanks both to Jay and Marek for the responses!

I too had found the appearance of Anthurium watermaliense on TROPICOS and two of the Kew's sites as being possibly a species' name but not on IPNI where it just doesn't appear  On TROPICOS it does appear in italics on the first page but after that if you check the extra pages such as specimens and distribution it is not italicized and appears to be a horticultural name rather than a species name.  One of the first things I plan to ask Tom after his return from Ecuador is his current position on this plant!  I did send a copy of my notes to Simon Mayo at Kew in hopes I might get a better clarification on the official scientific position.  I know some of the good people at Kew do monitor this forum since I've received private mail as a result of several questions I've raised here.  If anyone is reading this one from Kew I'd really like to get a response on the currently accepted position on whether or not Anthurium watermaliense is a horticultural or a species name.

Jay, I am curious how much variation you see in the inflorescence in Central America?

Thanks for the help guys!  We'll be away for a few days spending time with our kids and grandkids but I'll respond to anything on this subject as soon as we get back.

Steve Lucas

Marek Argent wrote:
Hello Steve,

As long as I know the name watermaliense it always seemed strange for me.
All Anthuriums come from the Latin America
The name Watermal sounds English or Dutch
and the ending -iense indicates a name of a geographical origin.
Here I found the explanation:
Another strange thing I found In this page that it is regarded as a species.

Best,
Marek