Re: unknown Dieffenbachia species

  • Subject: Re: unknown Dieffenbachia species
  • From: Adam Black <epiphyte1@earthlink.net>
  • Date: Tue, 10 Nov 2009 10:25:37 -0500 (EST)

Title: Message

Thanks Dennis. A list member contacted Jake Henny about my plant, and here was Jake's reply:

I would call that plant D. maculata angustior lancifolia........(or
> commonly D. lancifolia)....
> We used it in breeding many years ago.....the variegated spots are
> white.........
>
> However if the stems have a BROWNISH coloration and a slight
> YELLOWISH tint to the variegated spots
> it could be D. maculata angustior angustifolia......can't quite
> tell from the photos.....
>
> Regards,
> Jake

Mine tends to agree with Jake's description of D. m. angustior angustifolia ( same as your ID of D. m. angustifolia) with the slight brownish stem color and slight yellowing of the spots on the leaves.  I am beginning to think that my plant may possibly have originated from Jake's/UF's projects due to the donor's involvement at UF and may not have been directly wild collected as I was told.

Thanks to all that helped.
Adam