Re: Alocasia Amazonica and Alocasia x Amazonica

  • Subject: Re: Alocasia Amazonica and Alocasia x Amazonica
  • From: <ju-bo@msn.com>
  • Date: Tue, 17 Nov 2009 14:05:11 +0000

Dear All,

Marek`s note (below) confirms what I have been suspecting and saying for quite a long time--- since the ORIGINAL hybrid named A. X "Amazonica" was created by Salvatori (Sam) Mauro at his nursery in Miami by crossing A. sanderiana with A. watsoniana, and the resulting hybrid named after his nursery (Amazon Nursery) around 1950, as adult plants were viewed at his nursery in the late 1950`s.
 I STRONGLY suspect that others who wish to remain nameless have made OTHER crosses with A. sanderiana using OTHER species of alocasia such as A. lowii, etc., some of these newer hybrids have been placed in tissue culture and sold under the name A. ''Amazonica'', some with new cultivar names as mentioned by Marek ("Polly", etc.) tacked on.  All add to the confusion.  Steve will post the end-all to this whole puzzle perhaps later today.
Thanks for your input, Marek!
Good Growing,