Alocasia Amazonica, hopefully the last time!

  • Subject: Alocasia Amazonica, hopefully the last time!
  • From: ExoticRainforest <Steve@ExoticRainforest.com>
  • Date: Thu, 19 Nov 2009 16:51:31 -0600

Information provided this afternoon by Geneviève Ferry in France makes it clearer André's plant was never described as Alocasia x amazonica as is often reported.

Geneviève is a regular here on Aroid l and sent a copy of the original of
André's work.  She was kind enough to give me the "play by play" since I couldn't make the document open.  Her information came from the library at the botanical garden at Nancy, France.  I

André's hybrid was published in Revue Horticole in 1891, not Revue Hortic as I originally posted.  The plant was crossed by the brothers Chantrier who were gardeners at Mortefontaine and they used  Alocasia lowii and Alocasia sanderiana as the parent plants.  André published the plant using the name "mortefontanensis".  Since Alocasia lowii is now correctly known as a natural variation of Alocasia longiloba the plant would technically have the same parents as the plant created in Miami by Salvadore Mauro since he used  A. watsoniana Hort.x Alocasia sanderiana Hort.   Alocasia watsoniana is also a synonym of
Alocasia longiloba Miq.

Even though two of the parents look different they are genetically the same species which makes this terribly confusing and difficult for anyone that does not study plant species to rapidly grasp.
However, André never referred to the plant as Alocasia x amazonica.

The two hybrids are technically one and the same which would easily lead a researcher to give credit to
André for the hybrid but  the name Alocasia Amazonica belongs to Salvadore Mauro and it is strictly my opinion he should have credit for that name he coined, not André.

I have no desire to not give
André credit or the brothers Chantrier for their work which was published more than 100 years ago.  I simply believe Salvadore Mauro should have the honor of having his name associated with the name he created.  André should also have credit for his paper on the Alocasia hybrid he called "mortefontanensis".

Since I was reminded this morning this is simply a
" mere tempest in a teapot".I'm done!

fn:Steve  Lucas

Aroid-L mailing list