Re: Aroid or not?

  • Subject: Re: Aroid or not?
  • From: "Sherry Gates" <TheTropix@msn.com>
  • Date: Wed, 18 Nov 2009 13:50:21 -0600

Hi Marek, and everyone,
  I had read the original message, maybe mis-read because it seemed, to me, like there is really no clue as to it's identity ("presumable a Araceae" sounded like a stab-in-the-dark guess   &   "The plant arrived from the UK. This all I know". sounds like they really have no idea of what this is)
  I'd never try to outguess the experts, which I am certainly not, so I suppose I shouldn't even have made a possible suggestion as to its ID.   I was going by the appearance of the emerging leaf (folded) & the look of the bulb/corm w/dead leaves attached which (still) resembles a banana tree base that has been cut through (I've seen lots of those! lol). I understand that the appearance isn't always a definitive identifier, but it is after all, all we have to go by at this point.  That's why I asked if that was a possibility.
                               Take care and have a great week,
                                     Sherry