Re: Panama Aroid

Dear Harry:

            This is Philodendron subgen. Pteromischum.  I have forwarded it to Mike Grayum, the expert on this group in hopes he can determine it in this state.  It looks a lot like P. auranitiifolium, I think, but there are quite a number that are similar.

Tom

From: aroid-l-bounces@gizmoworks.com [mailto:aroid-l-bounces@gizmoworks.com] On Behalf Of ExoticRainforest
Sent: Sunday, November 22, 2009 4:45 PM
To: Discussion of aroids
Subject: [Aroid-l] Panama Aroid

I may be way off Harry but it just looks like a juvenile Philodendron hederaceum (micans, scandens, oxycardium) based on the stem, venation and one cataphyll.  Tom would be the best source.  Some have the velvet appearance but many forms don't.  We saw a fairly large semi-adult at the Myriad Center yesterday that had no velutinous appearance and I have several in my atrium that don't show it as well.

Steve

Harry Witmore wrote:

This plant is being passed around the dart frog hobby since it makes such a nice small aroid to grow in terrariums. It was supposedly collected in Panama but I have no other info other than that. If someone had told me it was from Asia I would say it was a species of Pothos. Any ideas on the id?

Harry Witmore

Zone 7B NC

Cloud Jungle Epiphytes
www.cloudjungle.com