RES: Aglaomena & Amerindian plants & Anoucha

Dear Joep,

The Aglaonema you collected in the French Guiana trail is probably Aglaonema brevispathum, another common species cultivated by Indians in South America. Together with A. costata, the native but domesticated forms of Caladium (specially of the C. picturatum group) and a few other plants, these species are kept by Indians (or strongy Indian influenced communities) as special plants and given as gifts to just married couples as a good-luck charms. Probably these plants were brought by Chinese and Indians (from India) that came for special jobs (like railways or mining activities) and spread by local people. Years after, we find this weird things in the middle of “virgin”jungle in South America!

Very best wishes,

Eduardo.

INHOTIM
Dr. EDUARDO G. GONÇALVES

Curador Botânico

Jardim Botânico

Rua B, 20
35460-000 | Brumadinho | MG | Brasil
+55 31 3571.6638  Ramal Fixo 107         +55 31 9604.8618  Ramal 380

Rua Antônio de Albuquerque, 215 | Funcionários
30112-010 | Belo Horizonte | MG | Brasil
+55 31 3223.8224

Antes de imprimir, pense em sua responsabilidade com o Meio Ambiente.