Re: blue anthuriums

  • Subject: Re: blue anthuriums
  • From: Corey W <cewickliffe@gmail.com>
  • Date: Fri, 18 Nov 2011 18:37:21 -0500

I doubt it's the pigment that's rare, just it's _expression_ WITHOUT the _expression_ of others to get in the way/mix with that is rare/uncommon. Blue animals are rare in the animal kingdom, but it's more that it's always mixed with stuff and rarely seen only by itself and over a majority of an animal - even in aposematic animals! It probably runs more rampant in some groups and other groups may lack the ability entirely (like our lovely Anthuriums? Do they make purples?).

Another thing to think about is pollinators for plants... they often pic their colors with purpose to visually capture the attention of those they want. Who is attracted to the strong blue spectrum more than other spectrums?