Re: blue anthuriums

There are truly blue species in the Campanulaceae, and of course the many gentians are also truly blue; other familes are spiderwort family (Commelinaceae), and the extraordinary genus Tecophilia. Even the orchids manage it with the lieks of Herschelia graminifolia and at least two Thelymitra (T. ixioides & T. macrophylla).

PeterHerschelia graminifoliaHerschelia graminifolia

From: aroid-l-bounces@www.gizmoworks.com [mailto:aroid-l-bounces@www.gizmoworks.com] On Behalf Of Jason Hernandez
Sent: Thursday, 17 November, 2011 7:43 AM
To: aroid-l@www.gizmoworks.com
Subject: Re: [Aroid-l] blue anthuriums

Also, it is important to note that "true blue" is rare throughout the plant kingdom.  There are a few taxa with genuinely blue flowers, but the majority of "blue" flowers have more or less purplish or lavender color to them.  Blue pansies, blue cornflowers, and blue asters come to mind.

Jason Hernandez

Naturalist-at-Large