Re: Wind

It depends to some extent on what you are concerned that the wind will do. Stakes of several varieties could be used for single petiole leaves and such - or if you think that the whole thing might blow over, i.e. pot and all, use a plastic pot and drive a piece of rebar through the bottom and into the ground. Alternatively, with smaller pots you can set them down into cinder blocks - I actually just recently saw a cinder block wall treatment where some of the cinder blocks were half sticking out of the wall, i.e. perpendicular to the majority of the wall, such that 1/2 the block could then be filled with a soil mix after screening had been glued to the bottom - these were used for succulents - but certainly weren't going to blow anywhere. The wall idea might workj for you as a wind block as well, and could be used ofr a variety of plants, aroid and non. Just a few thoughts.

From: aroid-l-bounces@gizmoworks.com [aroid-l-bounces@gizmoworks.com] On Behalf Of DAVID LEEDY [djleedy@sbcglobal.net]
Sent: Thursday, November 17, 2011 10:13 AM
To: aroid-l@gizmoworks.com
Subject: [Aroid-l] Wind

I plan on growing some arisaema outside.

Due to the very strong winds we have in Texas, it is necessary to provide protection for some plants.  For example, I use a tomato cage for taller Asiatic lilies grown in the ground.

Is there a product or any ideas as to how to protect an aroid with a relatively tall, single peduncle or petiole (e.g. amorphophallus, dracontium, arisaema, etc.) in a small growing container (5 gal or less)?

David Leedy

Aroid-L mailing list