Trip

  • Subject: Trip
  • From: Sheldon Hatheway <sfhatheway@yahoo.com>
  • Date: Wed, 23 Nov 2011 10:47:23 -0800 (PST)

Hey, Jude,

(I can't believe I actually said that).  Your pictures didn't come through.  Please try again.  I would like to see the tree.  I also have a tree grown from seed collected by a friend while visiting Puerto Rico many years ago, and neither of us has a clue as to what it is.  It has large (3 ft long) doubly compound leaves, a beautifully striated (corrugated?) bark, and red-orange flower clusters (according to the unfortunately fuzzy picture accompanying the seeds).  I've had it growing in my front yard for about 10 years and it has survived, without any apparent damage, through winter temps as low as 5 deg. F., but has not bloomed . . . yet.  I know it is used as a landscape plant in parts of Florida because I saw one in one of those real estate drive-by shootings (video shootings, that is).  Unfortunately the realtor was more interested in showing the house rather than identifying the tree.  What's the matter with these people?  Have they no sense of priorities?!!  Hopefully next summer, when there are actually leaves on the tree, I'll take the time to take some pics for one of those "off topic" ID requests.  I really would like to know what the thing is.  I tried Google and got enough hits to keep me busy for the rest of my unnatural life.  So you know why it's still unidentified, at least by me.  Maybe someone else on Aroid-L has an idea what it is, or can point me to an appropriate reference work.

Well, back to work!

Sheldon Hatheway
Canby OR 97013
Zone 7B, 8, whatever