Re: Philodendron aerial roots

At 05:40 PM 11/14/97 -0600, you wrote:
>>Awhile back I wrote about Philodenron "Xanadu" and
>>all the aerial roots that it was producing.
>>
>>Question: when I divide and repot this thing, what
>>should I do  with these roots? I shouldn't bury
>>them, should I? Snip them off?
>
>Sue,
>Think about the purpose of roots....  to provide nurishment to the plant...
>If I were you, I would do my best to cram them in the pot.  If you soak
>them in water for a couple of hours, they will become more pliable...  Cut
>them if absolutely necessary only....
>Dewey

Dewey,
I have to disagree with you on this one. As a grower of many epiphytes
before I even got to the aroid group I am familiar with aerial roots. The
last thing I'd do is cram them into a pot. I'd leave them be and use them to
help establish the plant by misting them regularly. There is a school of
thought that aerial roots are physiologically different than roots that go
into substrate and, at least anecdotal evidence that if aerial roots are
buried, they'll simply rot.

Besides, I kind of like them dangling out in space!

Carlo

Carlo A. Balistrieri, J.D.        Email: CABalist@facstaff.wisc.edu
P.O. Box 327
Ashippun, WI 53003-0327
U.S.A.
Voice:     414.569.1902  Telefax: same number, please call ahead.