Re: Philodendron aerial roots

I think you are both right. I think it depends on the plant. I recently
did some air layers of Monstera deliciosa and a few only develoded roots
off of their aerial roots that happened to be in areas I wrapped. It may
be that aerial roots start off physiologically different from real
roots, however in many plants they have the potential to turn into real
roots if subjected to the right conditions. I used a rooting hormone
when I did the air layers so that might have helped, but I couldn't
count the times I've taken a cutting from a plant with aerial roots and
just tossed it in a cup of water where is sat until the aerial roots
became real ones. I don't have any experience growing truely epiphytic
plants but I have a hunch they probably would be less likely to
appreciate their aerial apendages buried. The only way Sue will know for
sure is to due some experimenting with her Philodendron "Xanadu".