Re: not-so-variegated Alocasia micholitziana variegata

Lester Kallus wrote:

> I have (or perhaps should say "had") a variegated Alocasia micholitiziana
> "Frydek".  It came with one macerated leaf and an active growing tip.  The
> next 3 leaves were nicely variegated and the plant continued to grow quite
> well.
>
> The last leaf to come out was solid green with some very faint lighter
> green discolorations.  A new leaf now is also nearly totally green with
> little if any variegation.
>
> Do these plants revert?  Have I spent a near fortune for a plant that I
> already had?  Is there anything I can do to increase its variegation?  The
> light level had actually increased when the variegation began to decrease.
> It was outdoors at the time and night temperatures were dropping into the
> low 50s.  It's now indoors and the light level has consequently dropped but
> the temperature has increased.
>          Les

  Les:
I have numerous variegeted Alocasia Gageanas' in which a few of the offspring
have lost their variegation. A nursery horticulturalist told me that the
variegetion is acually a mutation of the species and it is impossible to
maintain full control over the levels of variegation present in a particular
plant. Several of my offspring have had 100% variegated leaves, which soon die
because of lack of chlorophyll. But a majority of them appear as miniatures of
the parent plants, which are evenly distributed for the most part. I say give
it some time and keep the light levels at a constant and just wait it out.
Nature will take it's course either way. Let me know how it comes along.
Sean Sims
Encinitas, CA