RE: not-so-variegated Alocasia micholitziana variegata

From: on behalf of Lester Kallus
Sent: 	Wednesday, November 19, 1997 7:25 PM
Subject: 	not-so-variegated Alocasia micholitziana variegata

I have (or perhaps should say "had") a variegated Alocasia micholitiziana
"Frydek".  It came with one macerated leaf and an active growing tip.  The
next 3 leaves were nicely variegated and the plant continued to grow quite

The last leaf to come out was solid green with some very faint lighter
green discolorations.  A new leaf now is also nearly totally green with
little if any variegation.

Do these plants revert?  Have I spent a near fortune for a plant that I
already had?  Is there anything I can do to increase its variegation?  The
light level had actually increased when the variegation began to decrease.
It was outdoors at the time and night temperatures were dropping into the
low 50s.  It's now indoors and the light level has consequently dropped but
the temperature has increased.

Dear Les,
I have seen variegated Alocasias put out all-green leaves, then start to
produce the variegated or part variegated leaves after an interval.  I have
also noticed that larger plants seem to produce less variegated leaves than
the immature and smaller plants.
Do any other growers out there notice this "trend"?
Good luck.