Re: Urospatha and Montrichardia

We have Montrichardia arborescens on display at Fairchild Tropical Garden,
10901 Old Cutler Road, Miami, Florida 33156. 305-667-1651. It is in the pond at
the Windows to the Tropics Conservatory. In the summer we occasionally move
some to out door ponds.Recently I sent some propagations to the Shedd Aquarium,
Chicago. It probably isn't on display just yet, but they needed some for their
electric eel exhibit. Eels breed in the root mass of this species.

--- Piabinha@aol.com wrote:
> at the california academy of sciences in SF, i bought a nice calendar with
> illustrations by margaret mee.  one of the pictures is of Urospatha
> sagittifolia (?), i believe.
> also, in the spring, i was in rio de janeiro, where i saw Montrichardia grown
> at the sitio burle-marx.
> does anyone grow any of these aquatics?
> tsuh yang chen, nyc, USA

Craig M. Allen
Conservatory Manager 'Windows to the Tropics'
Fairchild Tropical Garden
10901 Old Cutler Road, Miami, Florida 33156
Tel. 305-667-1651 ext. 3320   FAX 305-661-8953
email: cm_allen@yahoo.com
Web site: http://www.ftg.org
Do You Yahoo!?