Re: Urospatha and Montrichardia

To all the aquatic aroid freaks out there, there is a dwarf cult. of
Montrichardia that I have collected in Trinidad, W.I. that will only grow to
about 5 ft tall, generally less, 'trunks' as thick as your finger, and it
blooms at this size!   Has NOT grown larger with better soil and fert. as
one would expect.   These plants grow in 'poor' conditions in two areas of
T`dad, one is in the gravel bank of a river on the N.Coast, another is in
the earth 'bank' above a small sheltered beach also on the N. Coast.   They
grew well for me, and for a couple of friends who just stick the 3 gal pot
in their fish ponds.   There are giant clones of this plant growing near to
these dwarfs, some to 15-20' with 'trunks' 6" in dia!!

Craig M. Allen
Conservatory Manager 'Windows to the Tropics'
Fairchild Tropical Garden
10901 Old Cutler Road, Miami, Florida 33156
Tel. 305-667-1651 ext. 3320   FAX 305-661-8953
email: cm_allen@yahoo.com
Web site: http://www.ftg.org
Do You Yahoo!?