Need advice treating black scale on outdoor collection here in Ft. Lauderdale

  • To: Multiple recipients of list AROID-L <aroid-l@mobot.org>
  • Subject: Need advice treating black scale on outdoor collection here in Ft. Lauderdale
  • From: "Debbie Swartz" <deb@touchofthetropics.com>
  • Date: Sun, 1 Oct 2000 20:51:53 -0500 (CDT)

Ugggh it's back.  A few years ago I had an outbreak of a peculiar black
scale that starts flat (sort of like a limpet) then matures to a sessile
form (almost like a snail, it seems to be mobile). Went out to put an A.
sinuata in the ground today and lo & behold, they're baaaaaack.

Anyway, the scale is light but widespread, and I could sure use some sage
advice on treating it.  My usual instinct would be spraying with Isotox as I
did before, but I need to know which plants would be damaged by this
treatment; can anyone advise which aroids (or tropicals in general) I should
NOT spray with this systemic?  It's always done a good job before although I
hate to spray, but I don't want to kill any plants if I can avoid it.

The treated plants will range from 12' brugmansias to philos, anthuriums,
etc in pots.

Also, would this plague go away by itself perhaps when the weather changes,
and how much damage does this particular pest wreak?

Thanks in advance for your kind assistance...

Debbie Swartz