Re: Anthurium crystallinum from seeds

  • To: Multiple recipients of list AROID-L <aroid-l@mobot.org>
  • Subject: Re: Anthurium crystallinum from seeds
  • From: Neil Carroll <zzamia@hargray.com>
  • Date: Sun, 8 Oct 2000 15:11:45 -0500 (CDT)

>i'm having trouble germinating seeds from this plant, which were freshly
>collected and sown.  i have grown A. scandens, bakeri, gracile, from seeds
>with no problem.  is there a trick for this species?
>tsuh yang chen, nyc, USA

Seeds of anthurium are usually very easy to germinate. First is this truly
A. crystallinum? If it is the straight species there should be no problem.
A. crystallinum is often confused with A. clairinervium. A. clairnervium has
orange seeds and A. crystallinum has white to purple seeds.
Did the berries 'pop out' of the infructescence? They are ripe when they
'pop out'. Did you remove the seed from the berry?
Did the berries set by themselves or did you make a pollination?
The seeds should not be buried in the mix , but should just be on top and
pressed in a little. Be careful not to rot them or let them dry out.
Anthurium seed from either of the above mentioned species should easily
germinate and often times the seeds will have begun germination before they
are harvested from the parent plant.
The reason I ask if this is a true species is that sometimes hybrids ( and
there are quite a few hybrids of A. crystallinum around) are sterile.

Good seed, when harvested, often has a small green radicle showing at one
end of the seed.

good luck,