Re: Anthurium crystallinum from seeds

  • To: Multiple recipients of list AROID-L <aroid-l@mobot.org>
  • Subject: Re: Anthurium crystallinum from seeds
  • From: Denis <denis@skg.com>
  • Date: Sun, 8 Oct 2000 15:12:44 -0500 (CDT)

Dear Tsuh Yang Chen:

We grow or attempt to grow a lot of Anthurium species from seed every
year. Anthurium Crystallinum types appear to be slow to germinate and
overall have only a 25% germination rate. Your best bet would be to
remove all the pulpy part of the berry by squeezing out the seed and
sowing them on the top of sphagnum moss in a sealed pot or covered tray
with a clear top. Most Anthurium seed will germinate quite fast under
these conditions....crystallinum will not, it will delay a monthor two.
Good luck and have fun.

Speaking of slow to germinate, those seeds that Joep Moonen sent in May
of Dieffenbachia sp. have just started to Germinate five months after
sowing and the Dracontium have still not germ9nated.

Denis at Silver Krome Gardens
Slightly Soggy in Homestead Florida