Re: Anthurium crystallinum from seeds

  • To: Multiple recipients of list AROID-L <aroid-l@mobot.org>
  • Subject: Re: Anthurium crystallinum from seeds
  • From: Piabinha@aol.com
  • Date: Sat, 14 Oct 2000 20:43:17 -0500 (CDT)

In a message dated 10/8/2000 4:12:27 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
zzamia@hargray.com writes:

> First is this truly
>  A. crystallinum? If it is the straight species there should be no problem.
>  A. crystallinum is often confused with A. clairinervium. A. clairnervium
has
>  orange seeds and A. crystallinum has white to purple seeds.

yes, neil, these are purple berries.  the seeds are light in color, as most
are.

>  Did the berries 'pop out' of the infructescence? They are ripe when they
>  'pop out'. Did you remove the seed from the berry?

i removed the seeds from teh berries.  perhaps they were a bit green?
however, they did seem mature to me although not rotting.

>  Did the berries set by themselves or did you make a pollination?

they were collected at a local garden.

>  The reason I ask if this is a true species is that sometimes hybrids ( and
>  there are quite a few hybrids of A. crystallinum around) are sterile.

they were clearly labeled crystallinum.

thank you and dennis for your replies.

tsuh yang chen, nyc, USA
http://www.egroups.com/group/orchidspecies