Aquatic aroids for the subtropics

  • To: Multiple recipients of list AROID-L <aroid-l@mobot.org>
  • Subject: Aquatic aroids for the subtropics
  • From: Arno King <arnoking@yahoo.com>
  • Date: Mon, 16 Oct 2000 16:24:09 -0500 (CDT)

Hello list

I live in Brisbane, Queensland on the northern east
coast of Australia. I am writing following mention of
Lasia spinosa growing in southern Florida. How hardy
is it? I believe we may have a similar climates.

I have numerous ponds and tubs in the garden. One of
my favourite plants, Typhonodorum (which got some
coverage a few weeks ago) does well in our climate. I
also grow Pistia, Orontium, various Colocasia and
Zantedeschia. I did grow Monotrichardia for a while.
It did well but I let it dry out when I moved house
and lost it (i would be grateful for any more seeds-my
source was the modern art museum in Rio- there was
plenty of seed there).

What other aquatic aroids are likely to grow in my
climate? Any Cyrtospermas? There are many species in
cultivation in far north Queensland.What about
Lagenandra or Anubias? Are they reasonably hardy? I
saw many aquatic aroids in the garden of Roberto Burle
Marx a few years ago. Some looked like Spathiphyllums
others like large Anubias. Very ornamental.

Would be grateful for any ideas, particularly from the
south Florida members.

Arno King

=====

Arno