Re: xanthosoma mafaffa

  • Subject: Re: xanthosoma mafaffa
  • From: Tony Avent <tony@plantdel.com>
  • Date: Tue, 9 Oct 2001 11:15:15 -0500 (CDT)

Julius:

	We tried Xanthasoma maffafa 'Aurea' outdoors back in 1995.  That winter we
reached 0 degrees F, and the plant was mush.  The foliage was fine up until
frost.  I guess we should try again now that we are having global warming.
You've got to look at the positive side of every issue...xanthosomas will
be hardy for everyone soon!

>Dear Tony,
>
>I will be very interested in hearing the 'end' results of this
>survey---Xanthosoma 'mafafa' (in fact all species of Xanthosoma) are
>heat-loving plants, but who knows what extremes of low temps they might
>withstand, as they do grow pretty far south into southern S. America
>(Eduardo???).   Somehow I suspect that you will find that the leaves will
>not withstand much below say 50 degs F., and the plant will be killed by
>wind with temps below this, and frost will kill the rhizome.
>Please let us know the results of YOUR attempts, but only after 'you kill it
>yourself---at least three times!'
>
>Cheers,
>
>Julius

Tony Avent