Re: xanthosoma mafaffa

  • Subject: Re: xanthosoma mafaffa
  • From: "Eduardo Goncalves" <edggon@hotmail.com>
  • Date: Tue, 9 Oct 2001 00:29:27 -0500 (CDT)

Hi Tony,

    Well, the plant you cited (i.e., the Xanthosoma "Golden", "Aurea" or
"Lime Green", erroneously known as X. mafaffa) is a heat-lover indeed. My
plants almost died here in Sao Paulo (temperatures during winter usually
reach 8 oC) and now they are trying to recover. I am not an expert on
overwinter plants (I have never seen real snow in my whole life!), but I do
not believe that these plants are that hardy. Their rhizomes are somewhat
tender and proned to desiccation.

                           Very best wishes,