Re: xanthosoma mafaffa

  • Subject: Re: xanthosoma mafaffa
  • From: "Julius Boos" <ju-bo@email.msn.com>
  • Date: Mon, 8 Oct 2001 21:47:26 -0500 (CDT)

----- Original Message -----
From: Tony Avent <tony@plantdel.com>
To: Multiple recipients of list AROID-L <aroid-l@mobot.org>
Sent: Tuesday, October 02, 2001 3:44 PM
Subject: xanthosoma mafaffa

Dear Tony,

I will be very interested in hearing the 'end' results of this
survey---Xanthosoma 'mafafa' (in fact all species of Xanthosoma) are
heat-loving plants, but who knows what extremes of low temps they might
withstand, as they do grow pretty far south into southern S. America
(Eduardo???).   Somehow I suspect that you will find that the leaves will
not withstand much below say 50 degs F., and the plant will be killed by
wind with temps below this, and frost will kill the rhizome.
Please let us know the results of YOUR attempts, but only after 'you kill it
yourself---at least three times!'

I'm trying to find anyone that has overwintered Xanthosoma mafaffa, the
cultivar sold as 'Aurea' or 'Lime Zinger' outdoors at any temperatures
below 32 degrees F.  Any help would be appreciated.
Tony Avent
Plant Delights Nursery @
Juniper Level Botanic Garden
9241 Sauls Road