Re: Amorphophallus Propagation

  • Subject: Re: Amorphophallus Propagation
  • From: "Petra Schmidt" <petra@plantdelights.com>
  • Date: Thu, 18 Oct 2001 10:15:31 -0500 (CDT)

I've done leaf cuttings in the past (at MO and now at PDN) and some species
do very well; patience is the key because with or without rooting hormone,
the new leaf/tuber that forms is slow-going.  I've found certain areas of
the leaf "take" better than others and that keeping the cut leaf material
ever-so-slightly misted works better than watering with a typical
water-breaker head; therefore, if you have a mist chamber or automated
misting system, you'll increase your success rate.  I've also tried petiole
cuttings and am not quite convinced they'll "take" as well as the leaf
cuttings but I'm finding that partially cutting through the full-length of
the petiole (keeping the petiole whole) and laying the petiole onto slightly
damp milled spaghnum (covered with a plastic domed lid) seems to work; the
cuts slowly callous and form tubers.  In any case, this is still an
experiment in progress and I've tried quite a few different cuts and methods
of rooting leaves and petioles.  The really exciting news is that this
spring I tried tuber cuttings...yes, tuber cuttings; diced and sliced and
chopped and cut those tubers into chunks and pieces and bits; I won't go
into details right now on this but I've recently dug up those tubers and
have seen very good results.  Those that survived put out good growth for
the summer and the new tuber that formed is perfectly normal; those tubers
that took longer in producing new growth are just now forming leaf buds,
some with 2-3-4 buds per cut-tuber...it was exciting to see these
slower-recovering cut pieces because I could look at the cut pieces and see
what was happening with the new tuber...anyway....I'll continue this process
next season and will keep you posted.
Petra