Re: Amorphophallus Propagation

  • Subject: Re: Amorphophallus Propagation
  • From: Betsy Feuerstein <ecuador@midsouth.rr.com>
  • Date: Fri, 19 Oct 2001 10:26:35 -0500 (CDT)

Joe, your Dioscorea can be grown from a stem cutting. It takes one heck of a long time, but I vouch from personal experience that it can be done. I did it before I knew that it was not supposed to be done. Someone had one I wanted and I remember asking, does that grow from cuttings and he gave me a cutting to get me off of his back for wanting a tuber. It worked. I still have the plant.
Betsy

Durightmm@aol.com wrote:

It seems that more success propagating Amorph leaves are from those with heavy texture and noticably enlarged axils.  It is trickier to get otheres to respond favorably.  As for tubers they are much like DIOSCOREA that seem indestructible.  D. elaphantopis  tubers survived the mower.  They  grow in shallow soil and under pine trees exceptionaly well. It seems reasonable that as with caladiums most ropical tubers respond to disecting   Joe