Re: Hybrids??

  • Subject: Re: Hybrids??
  • From: "Julius Boos" <ju-bo@email.msn.com>
  • Date: Tue, 23 Oct 2001 10:19:58 -0500 (CDT)

----- Original Message -----
From: brian williams <pugturd50@hotmail.com>
To: Multiple recipients of list AROID-L <aroid-l@mobot.org>
Sent: Tuesday, October 23, 2001 12:45 AM
Subject: Hybrids??

Hello Brian,

>>Hello! I read in a e mail and on a website that Alocasia Hilobeauty was a
cross between a caladium and a Colocasia?<<

I do not believe so, two different genera (at least in Aroids) do not
'cross' I THINK the only record is when Colocsia was 'crossed' w/ Alocasia,
and these two are VERY closely related genera, may eventually ne combined
into one.   'Hilo Beauty' will eventually reveal what genus it belongs to if
and when we can get a bloom!   On my new job location there are some BIG
plants in the ground, so I HOPE that I will see a bloom when the season that
they might bloom in (maybe spring?) comes around, IF I am still at that job!

I am not up on all the Alocasia crosses, but where I work there are MANY
hybrids within the Alocasias, and this makes sense, as they are all the same
genus, and would be expected to 'cross' fairly easily.

Keep in touch,

Julius

Also that Alocasia sarian was a hybrid between zebrina and Alocasia
micholitziana. Now I am not sure who it was that made these claims or were
they got their info. But it does sound possible? What do you think?